Top Chef has returned! I never used to watch it, but when I head back home to the land of no cable my sister would bring the seasons she owned home and we started watching them. Now I like them a lot actually. So now as I watch from my apartment my sister watches from hers and we text about what we think and how all we want for Christmas is our own top chef to make us food every day.
In the spirit of cooking I have continued to make my way through the Pinterest food I have pinned. And despite the amount of deep frying, bread, and bacon, my waist line isn’t hating me yet.
1. Mexican Street Corn – This one wasn’t for me. For starters I couldn’t find cotija cheese so maybe that would have made a difference in the over all taste. But mostly it was the mayo spread on the corn. It just tasted weird warm.
2. Fried Mozzarella Sticks – These were okay. I tried two different recipes, one with floor, egg, and then bread crumbs and the other only milk and then bread crumbs. The floor and egg definitely made the crumbs stay on more and be more successful. Also the addition of Italian seasoning/ Italian bread crumbs were good either way, with or without. Baking made them flatten out more but they still tasted good.
3. Mini Sausage Pancake Muffins – DELICIOUS! I don’t have mini muffin tins so I made them in the normal muffin size and it still worked out. It was very good!
4. Spinach Artichoke Bites – My oven apparently has a thing for not baking bread products as the recipe says. I put these in for the minimum suggested and they came out more golden then I was aiming for. It did the same for the muffins above. They were still flaky and yummy!
5. Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms – These weren’t bad, but they also weren’t anything to write home about. As a side to something they would be good.
6. Stuffed Mushrooms – This is the first time I have used turkey bacon and maybe I got it too thick because it did not come out as thin and crispy as the pictures showed that they would. Also they recipe said to flip the mushroom half way through (for the bacon) and they just made a oozy cheese mess. I would suggest not that and maybe on a pan instead of a dish. Despite the outside bacon issues the stuffing and mushroom part was good! Normal bacon might be better for the next attempt.